Altar Rosary | History | Sacraments

History Stories

A SCHOOL IS BUILT

 For the religious instruction of the children a suitable building, formerly used as a mould shop, on the corner of 5th and Commerce Streets, was purchased for $2,000.00 and remodeled for Sunday School and entertainments for the various parish organizations. In the fall of 1917 a parochial school with an initial enrollment of 72 pupils was inaugurated in the building. This was the beginning of a new era in the history of the parish. Three Sisters of Divine Providence were at the school as teachers. This Order stayed for two years, and then the Franciscan Sisters of Charity of Manitowoc, Wisconsin, were obtained as teachers, and have staffed our school for all the years since that time. Enrollment increased and St. John's School, under the tutelage of the Franciscan Sisters, has become a vital part of our Parish and town.
In 1952 much progress had been made in church support and a new school became not only desirable but necessary. After much dickering, the Ordinary ordered Father Michael of the Benedictine Order to design a two story brick school. The new building is located on Charles Street between the convent and the Club House, erected by the Southeastern Construction company.
The bid for the new school without gymnasium was awarded to the Southeastern Construction Co. for $122,00.00 The total cost with extras was $132,000.00. The building is modern in every respect, and is fire proof, being constructed of brick and concrete block. The only wood in the entire building is in eight doors and the frames of the writing boards. The flooring is of red and tan asphalt tile. An important feature in this building is the use of glass brick as a building material which gives a maximum of natural light to each class room. The school contains four rooms, two on each floor, and the lower rooms are still above the high water mark of the 1936 flood. Each of the classrooms is dedicated to an Evangelist: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
During the eight month period of construction, classes for the approximately 140 students were held in the church basement auditorium. Upon completion of the building and the installation of desks and equipment, the new St. John's School was formally opened on March 1, 1953.

ST. JOHN'S NEW CHURCH

 In May, 1921 a large plot of ground on 13th and Charles Streets, ideally located midway between Dutchtown and Lazearville on the Prather Addition, was purchased with the idea of building thereon a new parish group. The dream of the pastor and his flock became a reality. On Sunday, April 27, 1924 an ideal blue sky greeted the populace of Wellsburg who had come to witness the laying of the corner stone of the new St. John's Church. The document in the corner stone is in Latin and freely translated reads:
FOR THE PERPETUAL REMEMBRANCE OF THIS EVENT: BE IT STATED, THAT ON THE 27TH OF APRIL IN THE YEAR OF THE LORD, 1924 DURING THE PONTIFICATE OF PIUS XI, BY DIVINE PROVIDENCE, POPE; CALVIN COOLIDGE BEING PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA; EPHRAIM MORGAN, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF WEST VIRGINIA; WILLIAM McCREARY, MAYOR OF THIS CITY; LEOPOLD HERMANNS, PASTOR OF THIS CHURCH, AMID LARGE GATHERING OF CLERGY AND PEOPLE, THE CORNER STONE OF THIS CHURCH WAS LAID BY THE RT. REV. JOHN SWINT, IV BISHOP OF WHEELING.

 

Back to History